Stolen from .
These are small things that make life worthwhile even when everything else sucks:
1. Watching a cat lay in utter, sprawled-out bliss in front of the fire on a wet night.
2. Books. Always books. I wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for all of the books that I have loved so well and so deeply that they made whatever fucked-up state my life was in at the time bearable.
3. The smell of horses, when you put your face right up next to the skin on their neck, or put your nose next to their velvet muzzles so you can breathe their breath.
4. The smell of puppies and kittens, any baby animals that you can put your face into and smell all of the milky, soft babyness.
5. The tactile, sensual joy of touching things: silk, satin, velvet, fur, leather. I walk through clothing or fabric stores just touching things.
6. Snuggling spoon-fashion, warm in our bed.
7. Tall, slender guys with large noses. I’ve always been a sucker for a certain physical type. Add big, girly eyes, good cheekbones and long hair to the mix, and it’s perfect.
8. A good bottle of wine on Friday night after a long week.
9. Riding out, away from the roads…I miss that.
10. Seeing wildlife: deer in my backyard in Ashland, Oregon. The fox that I saw a few weeks ago in the pasture. Hawks, anywhere.
11. Dancing alone, when you can just lose yourself in the music and stop thinking.
12. Full moons at night. Tiny sliver moons at dawn or dusk.
13. Old churchyards.
14. Sleeping on the couch with my head in Phil’s lap.
15. Favourite comfort food: artichokes with mayonnaise, rare steak, lasagna, Thai food.