As part of my New Year resolutions I’ve decided to do a cover giveaway in support of indie authors: specifically, all of the quirky and wonderful writers who make up the great NaNoWrimo community. I truly believe in supporting self-published authors and it is one of the reasons why I’ve kept my rates where they are. I’m also one of those people with dreams of finally publishing a book which is very dear to my heart, and I know from personal experience how difficult that can be to do successfully without a network of beta readers, editors and book blogger friends.
What I would like to do is offer the things that I personally can do, such as a professional book cover and layout services (ebook formatting, Createspace interior print layout and POD cover template) in hope that I can gather together a few like-minded people also involved in NaNoWriMo who in support of the community would offer other services such as:
- Beta reading
- Facebook, Twitter and (some) site graphics to tie in with the cover. (I’ll probably do this as part of the cover work.)
- A post after publication on your book review blog. This could be an actual review, a cover reveal, an interview, a spotlight featuring information about the book, etc.
- PR services and advice.
- A book trailer.
- Anything else that would help a first-time author that I haven’t thought of or covered here.
What do you think? I’d love to make this a yearly contest. I see it as being open to:
- NaNoWriMo “winners” of the most recent National Novel Writing Month.
- First time authors (first time to actually publish a novel).
- Any fiction genre up to a certain word length. (Sorry, no one wants to work on a 600-page doorstop.)
- Prospective authors would have to submit a synopsis and, say, the first three chapters. Best candidate chosen will be based on submitted material.
Can you contribute some time and professional services to this project? Comment here or email me and we can work out what we can offer. As for WriMos interested in entering, once we have the details worked out, I’ll post on the NaNoWriMo forums. I’ll also be bothering some of you personally in email…be warned. :)
Postscript: Book Cover Art
For those not familiar with me or my work, these are samples of the cover art that I have done recently. I also keep a Pintrest board of my book covers.
Links to authors (since WordPress is for some reason refusing to show images if I link them to anything):