Please check current rates – your cover will be invoiced at the rate that was current when you scheduled. I don’t plan on increasing my rates for some time, but it is assumed that you will have checked the current rate when you schedule. Click here for rates.
I am available for book cover design. I work in the following genres (sorry, but I am no longer taking historical romance clients):
- Science Fiction
- Fantasy (both traditional and urban)
- YA Fantasy/Horror
The work that I do is mainly photomontage, which is then overpainted digitally using a tablet. I don’t do any traditional illustration, nor do I do graphic work (titles, etc.) on completed cover art that you may already have. My lead time is generally twelve to twenty-four months in advance.
If you are interested in having a cover design, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Prior to scheduling a new cover project, the initial questions that I ask are:
- What text will go on the cover (title, author name, tagline, etc.)?
- What genre is your book (fantasy, paranormal, suspense/thriller, etc.) and who is your target market (YA, adult)?
- Is this book part of a series? If so, I will work on a concept that can be carried across a series of books to tie them together visually. Let me know if we will need the same character on the covers, and how many titles you anticipate needing. Please provide the series name.
- Are you planning on a printed version of the book as well?
- Please give me a short synopsis of the book, and any major themes that you feel are important.
- If you are interested in having a main character on the cover, give me a short description of them including age, sex, race, colouring, hairstyle, general style of dress, and personality. I can do two characters, but more than that gets messy – the simpler, the better.
- Do you have any initial ideas for your cover? (I will provide other concepts as well.)
- Are there any covers that your particularly admire, or hate? This isn’t to copy other’s work, but it is easier for most people (even writers!) to convey what they like via images rather than words, which are very subjective. I keep a board of covers that I particularly like, which is located here.
- What “feel” are you going for? Gritty? Fantasy/fairytale? Yearning? Dark, light?
Drop me a line – I’d love to discuss a cover for your book!
- Click here for information about book cover rates, rules and pricing.
- Click here for information about pre-designed ebook covers