Book Cover Art
NOTE: I am currently on a short hiatus and will not be accepting any new cover commissions for a couple of months. – 23 April, 2013
I am available for book cover illustration and design. I work in all genres, from fantasy to contemporary romance to horror. Much like my reading taste, my art style is quite varied!
If you are interested in having a cover design, contact me at email@example.com for more information and a price quote for your project. Generally, the initial questions that I ask are:
- What text will go on the cover (title, author name, tagline, etc.)?
- What genre is your book (fantasy, paranormal, suspense/thriller, etc.) and who is your target market (YA, adult)?
- Is this book part of a series? If so, I will work on a concept that can be carried across a series of books to tie them together visually.
- Are you planning on a printed version of the book as well? (There is a small charge for doing the print template.)
- Please give me a short synopsis of the book, and any major themes that you feel are important.
- If you are interested in having a main character on the cover, give me a short description of them including age, sex, race, colouring, hairstyle, general style of dress, and personality. I can do two characters, but more than that gets messy – the simpler, the better.
- Do you have any initial ideas for your cover? (I will provide other concepts as well.)
- Are there any covers that your particularly admire, or hate? This isn’t to copy other’s work, but it is easier for most people (even writers!) to convey what they like via images rather than words, which are very subjective.
- What “feel” are you going for? Gritty? Fantasy/fairytale? Yearning? Dark, light?
Drop me a line – I’d love to discuss a cover for your book!
- Click here for information about book cover rates and pricing.
- Click here for information about pre-designed ebook covers.
- Click here for links to my art portfolio.
- Click here for a Pinterest board of my book covers – this is usually the most up-to-date.
Book Cover Design Basics:
This was a series that I did on book cover design: what I ask, what to expect during the entire process, and information on formats and sizes if you wish to have a go at your own covers.
- Part One
- Part Two
- Part Three
- Part Four
- Rainbird: Birth of a Book Cover
- From Concept to Creation: How We Designed the Cover for Mortality by Kellie Sheridan
Client Work: YA & Fantasy
Client Work: Tanya Anne Crosby