January 10th, 2014 by Ravven
Actually not a truly bad person, just one who is currently letting things get away from them a bit. Contrary to my most solemn promises to myself I haven’t been blogging recently and there is so much that I seem to be falling behind on: book reviews, my feed reader, etc.
Social media is work. Oh, sure, it all seems fun until you realise that you are spending hours per day trying to keep up with everyone and everything. Without regular interaction with your network and chosen channels it all just dies. I tend not to use my mobile for social media (a result perhaps of being of a certain age-related social demographic, and enough said about that), so commenting and participating and posting at my PC all take time away from actual work. I’ve tried to narrow the places that I invest time in: I don’t just repost images, so Tumblr seems a bit pointless, I’ve always hated Google +, the only thing I use Facebook for is keeping up with friends in the States and the daily dose of racist stuff that my family posts. I read certain gaming sub-reddits, but the community can be pretty toxic (which applies to most game forums as well).
Bah, all of you tire me out. GET OFFA MY LAWN.
Things that I’ve done, or not done, since the new year:
- I’ve been reading a metric buttload of books and trying to review some of them
- I’m behind on leaving reviews for talented author friends. I loved your books but I’ve been bad and lazy, but that will be rectified.
- I’ve been working through a backlog of covers for all of the wonderful, patient people who were willing to wait for me to finish my two months off.
- That two months off? It was supposed to be for writing, but we had a personal/financial disaster and were thinking of other things. That pesky RL! The bad thing is, I haven’t written a lot since.
- I will start writing again.
- I started a project over the holidays of doing freehand painting, which I want to continue with after I’ve worked through the backlog.
- I was late to the party on shows such as Dexter and Breaking Bad, and am almost finished with Dexter – I’m down to the last three episodes wherein it apparently goes all to hell. /cry
- I’ve been playing a bit of Warcraft (having resubbed for a month or so), but basically am in a current state of meh about most games.
- I haven’t gone to Paris, nor learned to speak Japanese, nor created anything worldshaking.
Anyway, back to work. If you didn’t realise it, this is a pathetically obvious attempt at work avoidance, so it’s back to the salt mines. The art mines. Whatever… :)